In-School Departmental Service opportunities
Our Service Programme has recently received Lord-Lieutenant’s Award for Promoting Voluntary Service. The assessor was extremely impressed by the commitment and enthusiasm of our students and it was clear that they had gained much from their involvement.
Our pioneering Service Programme, run especially for Sixth Form students, focusses upon developing personal leadership skills whilst serving the community. Growing out of our ethos, the Service Programme is designed to help students develop holistically, learn leadership skills and foster a sense of achievement through voluntarily serving others. We strive to live out our Christian values and reflect 1 Peter 4:10: Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
We believe that God has given each person a unique set of skills, abilities and interests and through the service programme we offer a way for our students to nurture and develop these and in doing so we support them as they grow the whole person.
The programme is an optional part of your study here at The Nottingham Emmanuel Sixth Form. However there are some real benefits to signing up for the programme:
- It helps you develop skills that will be invaluable to you when you leave Post 16, whether in University or employment.
- Universities love to see evidence of wider activities and responsibilities that students have undertaken when in Post 16, in addition to your studies; this can be evidenced in your UCAS personal statement.
- It will help you build your confidence and help you to get to know other members of the Post 16 community.
Examples of current placements include:
- Teaching in NES lower school lessons in a wide variety of subject areas (Media, Drama, Science, Maths, Music, Art, Humanities etc.)
- Technician roles within the school
- Design and Marketing work
- Sports Coaching in the Community (Football, Tennis, Basketball)
- Teaching in local Primary Schools
- Leading in Youth Clubs
- Serving the Local Church
- Working for Local and International Charities
- Environmental Placements
- Promoting, monitoring and distributing goods from school to local food banks
- Supporting our sister school in Ghana (Project Ghana)